Scrubs and a Calculator: Yard Work

September 16, 2011

Yard Work

My grandpa and grandma Newson passed away quite a few years ago. My family has spent countless hours working on their home after they passed. We completely remodeled it and it is beautiful! It is such a charming home and has so many cute features. I was the only Newson living in Utah at the time of the upstairs remodel and so I was very involved. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love interior design and decorating. HGTV is by far my favorite TV channel. My favorite shows deal with flipping houses.  Helping to flip my grandpa’s house was like HGTV first-hand. It was a ton of work, but I thought it was fun and I learned a lot. I can say I have painted the entire interior of of house, scraped the sparkly cottage cheese looking ceiling finish off, retextured a ceiling, pulled carpet and tack strips out, patched numerous holes in the wall, and much more. It’s rewarding to go in the house and see the transformation that I was a part of.  My dad uses this house as a rental property now. It is the home he grew up in and that his dad built with his own hands. It has a lot of sentimental value.

New tenants were moving in and so Dave and I decided (mostly me) to get the yard in good condition before they moved in. I happen to love doing yard work, weird I know, and so I was kind of excited about this. The backyard has a huge garden area and this is what needed the most attention. It had not been torn up at the end of the previous harvest and so it was a little out of control. We spent a couple of days working on the yard and it looked much improved by the end. I forgot to take pictures before we started, but here are some of the after shots.

STP63705

STP63710

STP63712

STP63709

STP63703

1 comment:

becky said...

looks great! maybe you should come take off the popcorn ceiling in our new house :) I'm impressed with your skills