Scrubs and a Calculator: Livin’ the Dream Life

October 14, 2011

Livin’ the Dream Life

The past week and a half has been amazing! Dave and I are officially moved in and residents of San Jose, CA. The move went very smoothly. This is random, but good to know if anyone’s in the process of moving... We had a portable storage container company (ABF Moving) move our things for us and it made the move so easy. We packed the storage containers up in Utah, the company picked the up, drove them to CA, stored them for us until we were ready for them, dropped them off at our new place, we unloaded them, and then they picked them up.  It was definitely the way to go for an 800 mile move.  They were an easy company to work with and I would recommend them.

Cindy, Dave’s mom came down from Oregon to help us move in. She was so much help and it was nice to have company while Dave was at work everyday. Our friends Cecilie and Scott also came over to help us carry the big furniture. Poor Scott has a broken knee and was still willing to help out. We definitely owe them big time! Cindy and I spent the next couple of days unpacking and putting the apartment together. I’m really happy with how it turned out. This apartment is about the same size as our last apartment, but the layout is much different so it seems quite a bit larger. I’m still working on a couple of things and then I will put some pictures up of our new California pad.

For the past  few days I have been working on decorating our apartment and making a few things I saw on Pinterest. I’ve loved this! Someone asked Dave the other day how I’m liking my new job. (It doesn’t start until Monday though). He said, “Well, she’s an interior decorator at the moment, so she’s loving her job.” It’s too bad being an interior decorator can’t be my real job. Turns out it doesn’t exactly pay the bills, it only creates them so on Monday it’s back to reality for me:(  Here’s some pictures of the projects I’ve been working on.

I saw these roman shades on Pinterest and really liked the fabric so Cindy and I made our own version to fit the sliding glass door.

Inspiration185582440_h1G0EDcj_c[1]

My tie-back versionSTP64359 (2)

STP64360

I really liked these wreaths. I decided to make a combination of them and I love the final product!

Inspiration

165118515_xo6oNeR5_b[1]

165397000_3PlJv4ZE_c[1]

My end product

STP64354 (2)

STP64352 (2)

I thought it would be nice to have a key and purse hanger near the front door.

Inspiration

168505602_tUXqjWVD_b[1]

213388089_R3LYtw7U_b[1]

My versionSTP64356 (2)

Note: The one on the right is from Pier 1.  I want to add a painted picture frame around them like in the top picture, I just need to find one that I like first.

I decided to make new pillow case covers because I was tired of the old ones…

Inspiration

265630128_Ax65DvSI_b[1]

In my color scheme…STP64365

I wanted a valence for the family room window, but I wanted it to have a little more personality than a traditional simple valence. I can’t find the picture that I based mine off, but here is the final product.

STP64362

STP64364

The last project was inspired by Cindy. She helped me pick out fabric for me kitchen drapes and she did a wonderful job. I love how the different patterns work together.

STP64358

Dave and I have space for a desk in our apartment so we searched Craigslist and found this one. It fits perfectly and is sure going to come in handy!STP64371

I am definitely an amateur decorator, but I think it’s really enjoyable. Pinterest has so many great ideas and it’s fun to copy people’s ideas who are a bit more creative than me.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow Liz! I'm impressed with all of your projects! It seems like you have been super productive. I made a Halloween table runner I had pinned on my pinterest today - not all of the things you did, but I'm glad I got one done! Your apartment looks great. Good luck at work Monday!

Allison Barker said...

It all looks so great liz! I hope you guys are liking San Jose!